Sunday, April 24, 2011

Welcome Back!

Hello again and welcome back to updates on our Grandville Big Dawg Swim Club blog. A lot is new and we're excited to spread the news, but here's the most important information to get everyone started.

Registrations
Registration opens THIS WEEK for summer swim club. Registrations will be different than years past and will run similar to how it has run over the winter with big kids and little kids registering together. Please plan on stopping by the high school pool to get information and/or register on Monday, April 25th or Wednesday, April 27th between 6:00PM and 7:30PM. Registrations will close on June 6. 


USA Meeting 
There will be an informational meeting for those who are interested in competing in USA swimming on Tuesday, April 26th at 6:00PM.

Parent Meeting
There will be an informational parent meeting on Thursday, May 26 at the High School. Please mark your calendars.

GrandvilleAquatics.com
Please make sure you're checking up on information as it is posted on grandvilleaquatics.com.


What's going on with the coaches?
Many of you have been asking questions about the summer program that I've been unable to answer until now as we are nailing down some of our final details. As some of you may know, my job has posed some challenges with me coaching to the same extent that I have over the past summers. I have been developing an algebra summer program with my current teaching job for a few years now and my role now requires me to actively teach during the summer. While this may conflict with some practice times, it will also require a lot of my attention this summer. Also, with the current cuts proposed by governor Snyder, I recently received a lay-off notice (effective next school year) from my district. Because of this, I feel it's important for myself, and my fiance (yes, we're getting married), to focus on finishing out my current contract on a high note by dedicating as much time as I can to my summer teaching commitments.

While my passion has and always will be swimming and the Grandville community, I feel it's best for our program and our athletes if I take an assistant coaching role this summer and let someone with as much energy and drive as I have take the lead. With that being said, Gina Mieras, our current JV water polo coach and age group coach, will be taking over the role of head coach this summer. Gina will be following many of the ideals and traditions that Jeff and I along with Kalee and Michelle have developed and established in our program and we fully trust her to keep our program heading in the right direction.

Jeff and I have both committed to working with the program this summer in a smaller role. We will still be around in an assistant coach capacity and will be an integral part of the program. As I'm sure you can imagine, this turn of events with my job and handing over the reigns has significantly limited the amount of time I have been able to commit to getting things ready for the summer season. I sincerely apologize for the late notice on the registration meetings and information regarding the program, but I appreciate your understanding.

I'd be happy to talk to you about any questions or concerns you may have regarding the program. I'll be available at the registration session tomorrow, Monday, April 25 from 6:00-7:30PM.

If you have any further questions or concerns about the program, please direct them to Coach Gina at gmieras@gpsk12.net.

Thank you,
Coach Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment